Legendary art of the Ninja finds followers among Russians.
RussiaToday.com 27 February, 2010, 09:12
The legendary art of the Ninja, which originated in medieval Japan, is being revived in Russia. For more than 15 years, a Ninja school in Moscow has been keeping the ancient culture alive.
Sofia, a student at the school, says the ancient art has helped her gain the skills and confidence to protect herself in the city. She is learning to use a fan – an elegant but deadly weapon.
“The traditional Ninja fan can cut arteries or the forehead, so blood would spill down the face and the enemy would be blinded,” she explains.
Hand-to-hand combat, archery, mastering the sword and more are on the list of skills a Ninja should possess. Back in feudal Japan, Ninjas were dubbed “demons of the night” and were often contrasted to the samurai, who were a warrior caste.
“Ninjas used to hide under the water breathing through a tube,” says one of the student ninjas. “But as soon as a Samurai appeared above, they used it to attack him with poisonous arrows."
The Ninja culture is estimated to date back to the 11th Century AD, when refugees from China took shelter in Japan. Many of them were warriors and began passing their skills to the locals. By the start of the 15th Century, these warriors had become known as Ninjas.
But students at the school say their aim is not so much to learn the skills of combat as to develop a strong and balanced personality and learn tolerance and patience.
World mixed martial arts champion Fyodor Emelianenko has suffered a shock defeat, going down to Brazilian Fabricio Werdum.
The Russian was stopped by a chokehold in the second minute of the fight at the M-1 Global Strikeforce tournament in San Jose, US.
It was the first defeat in ten years for the 33-year-old and the second in his career. Emelianenko has so far collected 31 wins in the ring, and was undefeated in 27 clashes in a row.
“Those, who don’t fall – never get up. I was aiming for a punch and because of it made a mistake, which Fabricio used. We’ll think and analyze how that happened,” the Baddest Man on the Planet told Allboxing.ru after his defeat.
After the bout, Werdum said he is ready for a rematch with Emelianenko, who he called the greatest fighter in the world.
It was the 14th career win for the Brazilian fighter, who already has four losses and a draw in his resume.
Last Edit: Jun 28, 2010 12:12:04 GMT -5 by TsarSamuil
Post by TsarSamuil on Jan 17, 2011 17:58:27 GMT -5
Bulgarian Sumo Wrestler Kotooshu Strikes Again.
Novinite.com Sports | January 17, 2011, Monday
The Bulgarian sumo wrestler Kaloyan Mahlyanov - Kotooshu has continued his winning streak in in the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament in Tokyo.
On Monday, the Bulgarian overpowered Kisenosato (5-3) and secured his seventh consecutive win in the tournament.
Hakuho a Mongolian Yokuzuna (the highest rank in the sumo hierarchy) leads the tournament with 8 wins and not a single defeat. Kotooshu and Baruto trail in a group of five wrestlers, one behind the leader, at 7-1.
The Bulgariancurrently has the second-highest rank of Ozeki. He is the most successful European sumo wrestler of all time, known also in Japan as "the Beckham of the sumo world".
strikeforcefilms | January 19, 2011 | 133 likes, 4 dislikes
STRIKEFORCE has assembled eight of the world's top ranked heavyweights to compete in the STRIKEFORCE World Grand Prix -- Heavyweight Tournament, a three-stage, single-elimination tournament that will take place over several events in 2011. The first two quarterfinal fights begin on Saturday, Feb. 12, live on SHOWTIME from the IZOD Center in E. Rutherford, N.J. In the main event, the 34-year-old Fedor Emelianenko will face the towering Antonio "Big Foot" Silva (15-2) in a STRIKEFORCE and M-1 GLOBAL co-promoted event. Co-featured on Feb. 12, former world champion Andrei Arlovski (15-8) will face Sergei Kharitonov (17-4), Pride FC and K-1 veteran as well as the last man to defeat current STRIKEFORCE Heavyweight World Champion Alistair "The Demolition Man" Overeem.
Post by TsarSamuil on Feb 13, 2011 10:27:02 GMT -5
Fedor is still the best has ever been in MMA
I don't like Overeem (or OverROIDim as I call him) but he was right when he said a few days ago that Fedor's team are a bunch of dickheads..if Fedor had a better team, he would have been stronger, more powerful n could have taken Silva down n continued a few more years.
He hasn't been knocked out though, so he can still fight but he would have to put on some more weight..or he feels he hasn't the strength he had last decade, I suspect he lost the former match on purpose.. he doesn't look hungry anymore.
Get rid of that fucking team of his, they are poison, get some real guys n he can come back n start winning again. Despite his loss, he did very good the way he escaped through round 2 vs Silva, it's not loss of skill that he has, but loss of power or rather motivation.
Despite retirement talk, Strikeforce's Fedor Emelianenko could be top grand-prix alternate.
Mmajunkie.com by Dann Stupp on Feb 13, 2011 at 5:00 am ET
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Although the MMA legend hinted at retirement following a second-round TKO loss to Antonio Silva, Fedor Emelianenko's fighting career may not be over.
Both Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker and Emelianenko's agent, M-1 Global president Vadim Finkelchtein, want the 34-year-old to continue.
And Coker could dangle an intriguing opportunity should Emelianenko wish to continue fighting: first dibs on any alternate spots that open in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix.
Emelianenko (31-3 MMA, 1-2 SF) and Silva (16-2 MMA, 3-1 SF) headlined Saturday's Showtime-televised "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva" event at the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J. After a close first round, Silva unloaded a brutal ground-and-pound assault in the second. With the Russian's right eye swollen shut, the cageside physician halted the bout after before the start of the third round, which resulted in Emelianenko's second consecutive defeat since a legendary decade-long win streak.
The bout was part of the opening round of Strikeforce's eight-man, season-long heavyweight tournament. And though three tourney-reserve bouts populated Saturday's main card, any available alternate spots instead could go to Emelianenko.
"There's absolutely a possibility he could be a replacement," Coker told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) after the show. "That's the beauty of the tournament. You don't know what could happen in the next leg of the tournament. As this tournament unwinds over the year, there could be an injury, and you could see Fedor back in the tournament."
Decisions about injury replacements ultimately will be made by a Strikeforce committee, as Coker previously announced. And though Shane Del Rosario, Chad Griggs and Valentijn Overeem all won reserve bouts at Saturday's show, Emelianenko could cut to the front of the line.
Emelianenko undoubtedly would be the biggest draw of the four. But Coker said there would be other reasons for the selection. Namely, that Silva vs. Emelianenko was cut short by an injury.
"It was a tough fight out there," Coker said. "Like Alistair (Overeem) said, Fedor always comes back in the third round. But he didn't get a chance today. (With) the stoppage today, I don't think Fedor could see. He may have even had an orbital fracture, but safety comes first. He'll have another day."
Regardless, Coker said he and Emelianenko, who recently signed a new multi-fight deal with Strikeforce, have plenty of bouts ahead. Neither he nor Finkelchtein appeared to take Emelianenko's retirement talk seriously.
"You know how that goes," Coker said. "Guys get very emotional after fights. We'll see."
Finkelchtein, who said the doctor's stoppage was "the right decision," thinks Emelianenko may have just been emotional when he mentioned the possibility of retiring.
"I think Fedor was just upset," he said. "That decision, of course, belongs to Fedor. But I think I know him well, and I think he's full so full of strength. I think he will continue."
Emelianenko, arguably the greatest heavyweight in MMA history and one of the sport's most accomplished fighters, suffered a June loss to Fabricio Werdum, which snapped a staggering 27-fight win streak. The former PRIDE champion now has suffered consecutive defeats.
Post by White Cossack on Feb 13, 2011 12:24:31 GMT -5
It was very silent here after the fight. I am very sad, and I do hope he retires, he doesn't need to prove anything anymore. He is a legend and the GOAT. The guy is my biggest idol, and I hope he does a lot for the younger generations, as he is a great Orthodox and Patriot.
Kharitonov looked very well, and he is even bigger. I hope he takes the GP, although I would pick Barnett to submit him in the next fight.
Slavatar: You're online every day, but you post nothing. You don't even delete the spam crap. I'm confused, brother.
Oct 10, 2020 4:12:53 GMT -5
TsarSamuil: Browser is up, but I was doing other things..
Oct 12, 2020 18:58:52 GMT -5
Slavatar: OK.. Regards.
Oct 13, 2020 8:39:57 GMT -5
славянин: зиг хайль
Oct 22, 2020 15:41:37 GMT -5
славянин: дойчен зальдатен
Oct 22, 2020 15:41:56 GMT -5
Milo I.: Deutscher Sauerbraten?
Oct 28, 2020 9:59:34 GMT -5
White Cossack: Who's the best state leader currently?
Dec 6, 2020 8:57:53 GMT -5
TsarSamuil: Viktor Orban?
Dec 8, 2020 5:55:50 GMT -5
Gopnik: from leader's POV, i'd say Kim Jong Un as in north korea he is not forcing any pics of himself nor making a shit ton of songs praising him unlike his dad and grandfather, but instead he is attempting to get the nation out of the shithole it is in today.
Dec 13, 2020 17:16:43 GMT -5
Gopnik: but 1000000% not kim from a citizen's point of view, the Camps in North Korea are horrible.
Dec 13, 2020 17:18:52 GMT -5
White Cossack: You're both right, fellas.
Dec 18, 2020 11:17:53 GMT -5
eternal jew: indeed goys
Dec 18, 2020 12:13:55 GMT -5